Installing firmware using USB 3

User

Installing firmware using USB 3

Postby MAX100 » Mar 13th, '14, 10:49

Greetings! I have two questions:

1. I want to install a firmware update on a 4TB drive but the installation program said it can only be installed using Firewire 800. My new Retina MacBook Pro, running Mavericks, no longer has Firewire. Will it still install using USB 3? I want to try a firmware install because my MBP restarts after opening the cover, only when the drive is connected. Also, I cannot enter my password if the screen sleeps, again, only when the drive is connected.

2. I have the drive set up with two partitions. Will the firmware install with the drive partitioned?

Thanks for your help!

MAX100

Re: Installing firmware using USB 3

Postby Dustin F » Mar 14th, '14, 07:44

Hi MAX100,

Thanks for posting. The firmware update only affects the firewire controller of the drive. If you only use it on usb there is no need to update the firmware. As for the other issues, have you yet tried an alternate usb cable for the drive?
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Re: Installing firmware using USB 3

Postby MAX100 » Mar 14th, '14, 13:12

Dustin,

I have not tried USB 2. The reason for purchasing the drive is the faster Firewire or USB 3 transfer. I work with heavy graphic files. So for now, I will simply dismount the drive before 'sleeping' the computer. Not a big issue for me. Other than the forced restart when waking the computer, the drive works flawlessly. It was a good purchase.

Thanks Dustin, for your quick response!

MAX100

Return to G-DRIVE

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php