Power consumption of G-drive mini?

User

Power consumption of G-drive mini?

Postby asterisk » Dec 11th, '13, 13:34

I have two G-Drive Mini drives:

G-Drive Mini 320 GB
    G-Drive Mini 500 GB

Can someone please tell me how much power they consume as I can't find any info about this here nor elsewhere online?
I'd like to have them both attached to an iMac using Firewire (possibly USB) bus-power but don't want to exceed the available power of the computer.

Re: Power consumption of G-drive mini?

Postby Dustin F » Dec 12th, '13, 08:23

Hi asterisk,

Thanks for posting. G-Drive minis can be bus powered on usb of firewire. Daisy chain is only possible with firewire. Quite often desktop computers can bus power two g-drive minis through the firewire, not so much on laptops. However if you are on a newer mac using a thunderbolt to firewire adapter that adapter is only capable of bus powering one drive. If you do wish to daisy chain in that condition you would want to use a power adpater on the second drive in the chain. Basically some computers can provide enough power through a bus for both drives and some can't. You need to see if yours can.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby asterisk » Dec 12th, '13, 09:17

Thanks for your reply,
The Mac in question is from 2008. I'm trying to find out how many Watts the two Firewire buses can supply. Do you have the actual numbers for how many Watts those G-Drive Minis need each?

Postby Dustin F » Dec 13th, '13, 10:22

Hi asterisk,

I do not have the numbers for wattage, however the power adapter for a single g-drive mini is 12 Volts and 1 amp
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby asterisk » Dec 13th, '13, 14:01

I found out that my iMac can supply 7W on each of the Firewire ports, but don't know how that relates to the G-Drive Mini hard drives although knowing they don't use more than 1A helps. However, I have them both attached now (daisy-chained to a Firewire port) and they both seem to work like they should. Adding a third bus-powered drive may prove less fruitful though.

Can you please tell me which hard drives are used inside the enclosures below?
That way I don't have to void the warranty by opening them myself and can check their electrical specs. I assume the SATA to Firewire/USB bridge board power consumption is negligable.

G Drive Mini Triple 320 GB/5400 RPM (part no. 99200-09105-001)
G Drive Mini (Gen 4) 500 GB/7200 RPM (part no. 99200-09303-004)

Postby Dustin F » Dec 16th, '13, 08:58

Hi asterisk,

The gen 4 drive I might be able to look up but only with the s/n. The mini triple would long be out of warranty and would no longer show up in our system.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

User

Postby asterisk » Dec 16th, '13, 10:42

Never mind, I'll just open them both up and see.

User

Postby nchicountry » Feb 8th, '14, 08:15

I have a G-Drive Mini Gen4 320GB drive. Will there be enough power to support this device delivered from a USB or Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter connection WITHOUT using a separate power supply?

Postby Dustin F » Feb 10th, '14, 12:13

Hi nchicountry,

Thanks for posting. Yes the usb ports on a new mac should be enough to power it, and the thunderbolt to firewire adapter usually has enough amperage to power one bus powered device, so you could do one mini without an adapter, but not two. Although the macbook air sometimes has inconsistent power to its usb ports, and can sometimes have trouble with bus powered drives.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support

Return to G-DRIVE mini

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php