g-drive slim stopped working

User

g-drive slim stopped working

Postby tracer » May 23rd, '14, 22:40

Hello. I have been using my g-drive slim with my mac for about a year. Over the last two weeks, I noticed it's been saving photos (via lightroom) very slowly. Today it wouldn't save at all. I closed lightroom and attempted to eject the drive. It wouldn't eject, so I removed it. I have tried to plug it in to two different computers and the image won't show up on my desktop. The drive lights up and makes a running noise and beeps when I unplug it.

I've run disk utility. The first time I ran the verify and repair programs and said there were no errors. I tried to create a new image (didn't work ... got an error message) and then to restore the contents to another g-drive (also didn't work). I went back to repair and this time it said the drive couldn't be repaired (that the volume couldn't be verified), and that I should erase and restore.

I really don't want this to be the final option. I backed up the drive on May 7. I don't want to lose those two weeks of photos.

What else can I do?

Re: g-drive slim stopped working

Postby Dustin F » May 28th, '14, 07:38

Hi tracer,

Thanks for posting. I would definitely try another usb cable as a problematic cable could lead to input out put errors to begin with. You could also try a third party program like disk warrior that can repair partition tables at many times where disk utility cannot. Or data rescue 3 which bypasses the partition table all together to all data to be copied off. A trial version of data rescue 3 is available with which you can check to see if it can see the files before purchasing the software.
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

User

Postby bozworth99 » Jun 26th, '14, 20:29

My G-drive stopped working. My computer does not recognize the drive when it is plugged in. It makes noise but nothing happens. I took it to the Apple Store Genius Bar, but they couldn't get my computer to see it. They plugged it into a different computer using a different cord, but still nothing. I bought it Dec. 14, 2013. What do you suggest that I do?

Postby Dustin F » Jun 30th, '14, 07:58

Hi bozworth99,

If with either cable the drive was not seen in disk utility or system report then the problem would be the enclosure. If you need the data on the drive you could take it to a local computer store to have them open the casing and access the drive directly to get the information off. If it is not seen in disk utility but seen in system report then the problem is likely the drive and to get data off would need to go to a data recovery company to retrieve the information. With either of these methods a copy of the invoice from the service will maintain the warranty on the drive. The cost of the service will fall on you. If the data is a backup and you already have the data elsewhere you can simply submit for a RMA to send the drive in and have it replaced. Here is a link to the RMA form.
http://prod.g-technology.com/support/warranty_rma.cfm
Regards

Dustin
G-Technology Support
twitter.com/GTech_Support

Return to G-DRIVE slim

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php