Please note that your G-Technology Product is already preformatted for use on a Mac.
Due to the differences between a Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows, formatting a drive for Mac only will cause the drive to not be accessible by Windows computers. If you plan on using the drive with Windows based computers, please format the drive for FAT32 which will allow both Mac OS X and Windows computers to recognize it.
NOTE:The steps below use the G-Drive slim as an example only. The steps remain the same regardless of the G-Technology product you're attempting to format.
WARNING: Any data on the drive will be erased in this process.
Please backup any data on the drive before proceeding.
Follow these steps to format your drive for use on the Mac:
- Connect and power the drive
- OpenMac HD, Macintosh HDor the name of your main hard drive in the finder
- OpenApplications > Utilities > Disk Utility
- Once the Disk Utility application has opened, your external hard drive should be listed on the left. It should show the drive size with a second indented line beneath it that shows the existing partition
- Select the Erasetab at the top of the screen
- SelectMac OS Extended (Journaled)for the volume format option
- Change the name of the drive if desired
- ClickEraseat the bottom of the screen. You will receive a warning message asking you to confirm the erase procedure.
When the process completes, the drive will be ready for use by selecting it on your Desktop or Finder window